Saturday, July 26, 2008

One Night @ The Call Center

 haha

For Starters, NO, this aint about the book. Sorry if I disappointed you, and am thankful to those who were cheered up by this info! ;)

Anyway, this is about my first night at a call center, an experience I will never forget in my life! So, I recently started working, and I am in the training period, and the shift they gave me was a night shift - 11 PM to 8 AM. A sad timing, I know!

Anyhow, I was up and ready by 9 PM, mine is the first pick up and the last drop by the cab - again sad, I know this too! :D The cab came in and started honking at about 9:15 PM, and soon, I was on the busy roads....making my first "Official" Night Out!

After all the pickups, we reached the office at about 10:15 PM, and I still had like 45 mins before my shift began. Since it was the first day, I didn't know anybody, and I must say this, It gets kinda sad when you are in a new place, and you know no one. But the jolly character that I am, I was soon talking to my fellow trainees, and we decided to check the entire office premises.

We soon reached my favourite place there - the sports room....Not that I am a very sporty person, but the atmosphere was as if it was a night club of some sort - trust me, it really was. Anyway, I, and a few others ended up playing table tennis for some time. Soon it was time for the shift, and we headed to the training room.

Now, I must confess, My trainer is like WOW! I mean, she is amazingly amazing. And the way she speaks her "AMERICAN" accented English, anyone would fall for her....and she is smart as well....and when I say smart, I mean "The Lara Dutta in the Miss Universe pageant" kind of smartness!!!! She started the day by saying that there was a musical event to take place in the cafeteria, and that, if we wanted, we could go see it, and so, the training would start at about 12.

The Image026musical person that I am, I was the first person to enter the cafeteria, and take my seat amongst the audience. I had never seen such an atmosphere in an office, where everyone is enjoying and chilling out, screaming at the top of their lungs, whistling....you get the picture! The show started, and I enjoyed like anything....it was amazing!

Soon I was back in the training room, with my fellow trainees. It was somewhere around 1 AM. The trainer started telling 1193024703_217742ace0us about how put stress on words, and some stuff like that. The class went on, with sleep coming in and knocking at the doors time and again....but thankfully, our trainer being fun and sweet, always asked if we needed a BREATHER! And of course, thanks to Nestle'  for introducing Nescafe' to our lives....that kicked the sleep out!

We also discussed about our lives, and knowing about everybody in the room was fascinating in itself. I learnt that my trainer preferred working in Night Shifts so that she could spend time with her 6 month old daughter during the day - Now that's the sweetest and the most adorable thing any mother can do - Sacrifice her sleep! But this sacrifice couldn't harm my trainer in anyway....I mean....No dark spots under the eyes....Vibrant skin....and full of life....Why would anyone want to sleep....ever? :D

Soon she gave us an exercise....she asked us to assume that we were 80 years old, and that we had to look back in time, and state what we had gained and what we couldn't. I thought about it really hard, and realised that it was not easy predicting what wasn't there. It was more of an imagination thing going on, but yes, it was mixed with the feelings of what I wanted to gain in the future, and what I will be able to achieve.

I reached home at around 9 AM, my mind still pondering over the last exercise that I did....Will I be able to do what I thought I wanted to by the time I was 80? Will I be able to leave a smile on the faces of the people I am associated with in one way or the other? Will I be able to be Happy? Yes, Life can be so unpredictable, but isn't this unpredictability that makes it even more fun to get up the next day? Doesn't not knowing what is about to happen give us the energy to work even harder to know what is about to come? And doesn't the fact that we don't know what will happen next gives us a chance to dream....and work even harder to make them come true?

Yes, I had learnt what it was like to dream - and to work to get that dream. My one night at the call center taught me that....to never give up....to never loose hope....for it would be soon....that everything would come....right in front of the eyes!

28 comments:

Sameera Ansari said...

Congratz on the job :)

You had a great time,good!Trainer par kaafi line maar rahe the ha? ;)

The unpredictability of life is what makes it exciting indeed.But given all the bad things happening in the world these days,wish life would be a little less unpredictable though.

Live your dreams buddy and they surely will come true :)

Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

@Sameera: Thanks a lot for the wishes.

Haha, no, I wasnt hitting on the trainer, its just that you dont find such sweet people everyday, and so I was just awwed by her.

And yes, life is so unpredictable, all we can do is to work fr what we want....and one day we will surely get it.

And you have a great weekend as well!!!!

Lena said...

Congratulations on the job!
Sounds like you learned a lot and will learn even more. Important is not to forget about positive attitude :)

Good luck!

rainboy said...

let me go there...wait...let me get into that state of mind...

okay..
so i am 80 and looking back :-
my take0ver was subtle. It started sl0wly, with me bec0ming an Internet pers0nality. Then I used my superi0r genius t0 design a super-hacking pr0gram that all0wed me access t0 any computer that ever connected t0 the Internet, anywhere. Then, I used my inevitable f0rtune gained from my f0ur N0bel Prizes and the aster0id that I captured, set into 0rbit, and mined t0 hell, t0 set up a planet-wide wireless network that any0ne could get int0 f0r free; which means I got int0 every0ne ;D

Fr0m there, w0rld d0mination was inevitable.From my 33rd b'day i have been ruling the world,and now I have had much better luck in removing poverty with the help of my counselor Gagandeep Singh Walia
So here i am ..happy that i did good for myself,coming from a small town.who could have guessed i would be the ruler of the world.
cheers to me m8. I made it big.

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

great post gagan!
only you could hav made d best of just one night and d first day ever!!
ure gonna do great . dont worry!
be happy:)
tc

Unknown said...

@Lina: Thanks a lot Ma'am. I really appreciate the words. Thanks a tone.
God Bless!!!!

Unknown said...

@V: Hahahaha....

First, I need the premium version of the hacking software that you will create, and that too absolutely free!!!!

Second, Do care to thank me just once when you get the first Nobel Prize ;)

Third, I need my name engraved on the Asteroid under the "friends" column.

Fourth, I need free tickets to a trip to hell!!!!

Fifth, I will be honoured to be your councellor to remove povery from the world....and we'll try spreading love too. I think the world needs that too :)

And finally, I truly wish from the bottom of my heart that everything you wished fo do come true....and I wish you all the happiness in the world.

All the best brother, All The Best!!!!

Unknown said...

@Gunj: Thakyou for all the encouraging words....They really do mean a lot to me....and I dont even need to say all this....you know ir, right?

Cinderella said...

Congrats on the job Gagan !

A fren of mine worked for a BPO (though he was not on voice desk) for about a year..and after that he gt into s/w....somehow he still maintains that a a bpo expreirnce is necerssary to actually make you understand what rigourous work means...it fulfills you as a pro.

Perhaps he is right. ENjoy to the fullest and do your job well.

Dreams will definitely happen !

:)

rainboy said...

first :- i will not sell it.so no versions for anyone.Forget the premium noone will get a trial. :D

second:- once..hmmm i will think about it.

third:-considered it done.

fourth:- already made reservations for you.What will i do alone there. hehe

fifth:- nice idea sir ji :D :D

thanku thanku all compliments accepted ...you have been gifted a dream.it's a surprise. You'll see it soon someday while sleeping and then u'll recognize it. haw haw

Anindita said...

Congratulations on your job! Even though the timing is sucky, the experience counts! :)

PS: I was exceptionally glad that this post wasn't about the book! :D

Cheers,
Anindita. ^^

anusha said...

oh Gagan sir ..aap kitne senti ho.. tht was really sweet the last paragraph of the post! well written as usual! .. chalo before going for the Shirt -tie waaala job.. u gt to do a job tht 'sounds' cool.. te late night jigs n all! hehe! gud hai :)

p.S. i hvnt seen u visiting by blog since long :-(

Anwesa said...

This post was gr8,Gagan...I wud really like to be a professional like ur trainer..
P.S:PLZ REMOVE THIS WORD VERIFICATION.ITS A DAMPENER.

Bhai with Chai said...

Congrats!

Timings might mean a lot of stress but am sure you'll make the experience count!:)

//I learnt that my trainer preferred working in Night Shifts so that she could spend time with her 6 month old daughter during the day

that's some attitude ya! Wonderwoman! :)

and you're right.. hopes shouldn't die .. :)

Unknown said...

@Cinderella: I am trying my best to enjoy....and trust me....I am! And with the excellent trainer that I have got, anyone would. Thankyou for your wishes, and I too believe that such an experience must be had atleast once in the lifetime.

Unknown said...

@V: SSA V,

I applaud from the bottom of my heart for you. You are an amazing guy, and your thoughts, if realised, will do tremendous good to the world....this is what the world really need!!!!

Unknown said...

@Anindita: Lol, I am so thankful that atleast someone is glad that it wasnt abt the book!!!! And thank you for the wishes!

@Anusha: I am so sorry that I wasnt able to visit ur blog....I will be doing it very soon. And yes, I am really enjoying it there. And about the senti part....well....haha....woh toh hum hain hi!!!! :D

Unknown said...

@Anwesa: Thanks for visiting. Even I will love to be professional as my trainer. She is AMAZING! You have to see to believe it.

And yes, help me remove the word verification thing, I dont know how to do it ;)



@Bhai with Chai: The timings r a bit sucky, but its cool! My trainer makes us do all these activities that keep us on our toes...and excited!!!!

And yes, I agree....sh most certainly is a WONDERWOMAN! :)

saurabh said...

woooo...congratz a tonn...so finally u got ur big dream job ..:P...kiddin...i must appreciate u on how u describe things..u r a born author.. its just fabulous...y dont u try ur hand out in writing a novel..m sure u'll rock buddy.

Unknown said...

@Saurabh: Lol....Thanks a lot for the complement, and I am very sure that if I find readers like you....I might definately aazmao my haath in writing!!!! :D

Salil said...

Hey Gaggan nicely written,good experiance haan...

Unknown said...

@Salil: Thanks a lot for taking the time out to read and thank you for appreciating as well. :)

Unknown said...

hey gagan
awesome work dear...

well i guess ur trainer did emphasis on yesssssssssss;) when she was telling you guys about stressing at some words...hahahahaha:D

hmm...dont know about everyone...but for sure...you brought a smile on my face...everytime i met you...

keep up your positivity...and do your best...
and i know and pray that your days ahead...would be just as good and exciting as your first night at the call center..

good luck dear for all your future endeavors...

yesssssss;)

Unknown said...

@Diya: Thankyou for those kind words....

Yessss....Even if my trainer didnt put stress on the yessssss word, I always made sure that I did. ;)

And about the smiling thing....you were always the reason for me to smile....

Thanks for everything!!!!

Anonymous said...

sahi hai paaji..first day eh?? accha hai...shuruwat maaadi nahi ta sab kuch shaal huga....

aur trainer badi interesting ladgi si... kya baat hai!!>

enjy paaji...

Unknown said...

@Paratrooper:
First, thankyou for visitng. I really appreciate it.

Second, I know it will sound funny, but I donot know Punjabi. :)

Third, Thankyou for your wishes abt the job....its something tha I actually am enjoying.

and finally fourth, my trainer is seriously very intresting, one needs to meet her to believe this.

By the way....thanks for the invitation to ur blog. I will be there really soon. :)

Anonymous said...

ooops...!! i din know that..... i am samby man !!... i had to make my blog private... !! cause of the army thing... lol...all the previous posts also i commented in punjabi....sorry bro...din know that. u din knew!!..anyways..ill remebr that... take care buddy !

Unknown said...

@Paratrooper: Arre yaar, its perfectly fine....I cannot speak Punjabi, but I can understand it fine. And please dont appologise....I feel so guilty abt it.

And wow....army is really cool yaar....really cool!